Emergency Treatment

What should I do in an event of a dental emergency?
Please call the practice immediately so that we can arrange an appointment as quickly and conveniently as possible for you. Out of hours you can be seen by the practice emergency dental service.

What should I do to cure a toothache?
If you are suffering from toothache, something is wrong and requires attention.

What should I do if I have a swelling?
Swellings are usually caused by an infection. Their presence means that you will need to get treatment at the practice ASAP. If the swelling is affecting your breathing or swallowing you need to attend A & E as soon as possible.

What should I do if I have fractured my tooth?
Fractured teeth require attention so call to arrange an appointment as soon as possible. If you cannot access your dentist immediately, pharmacies stock temporary filling kits that may be used.

What if I have lost a crown?

Keep your crown and bring it to your appoinment to allow the dentist assess if it can be recemented.

What if I have knocked a tooth out?

  • If possible, place the tooth back into the socket immediately. 
  • If not possible, try not to handle the tooth root to protect the fibres around the root surface.
  • DO NOT place the tooth in water. 
  • DO place the tooth in cold milk or on one side of your mouth between your teeth and cheeks.
  • See a dentist as a matter of urgency.

What if I have broken my denture?

Broken dentures can usually be repaired. Please resist the temptation to glue them together yourself as this often makes the repair very difficult. Bring the denture pieces to the practice and the dentist will arrange the repair for you. If you are away from home or cannot get to the practice you can try to find a dental laboratory who may be able to repair them whilst you wait.